Saturday, June 5, 2010

My First Pine Needle Basket



This is the first pine needle basket I've ever attempted. I used pine needles collected on a dog walk - I used one of the (clean) poop bags to collect a bunch! I soaked the pine needles in hot water for half an hour, then threaded my big needle with purple cotton floss. I know the tradition is to use raffia, but I figured I could let it slide while I'm learning.

I used about 8 needles at a time, adding more as they ended or broke off. :) Even though they were dry to begin with, a little sap still got on my hands and the thread.

In the basket is my adorable little Murphy! She posed so beautifully. This basket is actually for my mom's birthday. I made it in time for her birthday, but not in time to send it to her! Oops...

1 comment:

  1. I see that you have reading listed as one of your interests! Perhaps you would like my blog:

    http://openingmyvein.blogspot.com/

    I love to read and write, and though I don't write often, I feel that I have to have an outlet somewhere. So here, every now and then, I'll unpack my thoughts and regale everyone with them. You might enjoy some of my short, random musings!

    ReplyDelete